On 16-Jan-12 14:31, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Honest answer? My prejudice against non-Linux UNIX, especially with
> something as important as backup. I don't want to run into subtle issues

Fair enough, as long as you admit it's prejudice on your part.  There's
a lot of history of Unix being proven stable in server applications for
a lot longer than Linux has been around.  You have to set up and
maintain the systems, though, so go with what you're comfortable with
and know best how to use.

> that won't show themselves until I really, really need those backups...
> (That red text right up near the top of your link? *That* is what I'm
> talking about...)

Yeah, but don't rely on ANY platform to "just work".  If you need the
backups, always get in the habit of verifying them on a regular basis.

--
Steve Willoughby / st...@alchemy.com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."