On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmas...@obscorp.com>wrote:

> > Most people would read them by clicking on the links in the web
> > interface and not know/care whether there was an extension or not.
>

> Touche.  But doesn't make this any smarter than it was...
>
> I usually monitor backups (especially when I've just created a new guest
> to back up or when I'm having problems) by "tail -f /path/to/XferLog".  I
> can't do that with these compressed log files (or, I can't figure out how
> to, anyway).

It's pretty rare to have problems that change in realtime between logfile
lines.  Relax a little, get a cup of coffee, check the results when they
show up.

GUI's are great and all (and I use BackupPC's a *lot*), but it would be
> nice to not have them break the command line, too!  :(

How is the documented BackupPC_zcat program broken.

> Or, at least, outsmart me.  Does someone have a way to simulate a "tail
> -f" with the compressed logs?

Do it the same way tail does it.  Sleep a while and read again.

     lesmikes...@gmail.com