Trying to get my ducks in a row before I tackle changing my backups over to
rsync this weekend and have a couple questions before I begin.

*Setup:*  Ubuntu 12.10 running backuppc, 4 windows boxes
*Current backup:  *Ubuntu was setup for TAR backup on itself
*[localhost]*and I added smb backups for the windows boxes.
*Goal:  *move everything over to rsync

So in doing my research, I am confused more by rsync for the
*[localhost] *since
most instructions are for backing up remote machines.  I assume I don't
need to have any ssh keys for rsyncing items from *[localhost]*?

I found some Ubuntu instructions and they show the settings as:

$Conf{RsyncClientCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l root $hostIP $rsyncPath
$argList+';$Conf{RsyncClientRestoreCmd} = '$sshPath -q -x -l root
$hostIP $rsyncPath $argList+';

I guess I am also wondering if I should be using "root" in that command.
 It seems like even if I am backing up *[localhost] *I should be using sudo
for the command??

I should add, that for the current tar command *[localhost] *backup, I did
add backuppc user to have no password for the tar command.  Not sure if I
should be doing that for rsync then as well or if it will be fine.  (Ubuntu
BackupPC Help <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupPC>)

Add backuppc to the sudoers list

   - Run “sudo visudo”
   - At the bottom of the file add

# Allow backuppc to run tar without a passwordbackuppc ALL=NOPASSWD: /bin/tar

I am going to try to setup *[localhost] *first using rsync, then move to
the windows boxes.  Seems like there are some better instructions out there
that I have found for them, but I am sure I will run into something!  I
plan on using cygwin on the windows machines.  Again, thanks for answering
questions, it is appreciated.  I want to make sure I do this right and
don't blindly follow some bad instructions and get to some point I can't
recover from.

*Travis Schwenke*
Ubuntu newbie (with some computer skills) and real backuppc newbie  :)