Well, I guess it is *SOLVED*...

I didn't change how the service was running.  Since I couldn't see any
differences in the directories or privileges I decided to try something
else.  I went to the rsyncd.conf file on the client and setup three shares
that match the directories I was trying to backup.  I realize this could
mean that (especially the user directory) might restore to the wrong place,
that is ok, as long as I can get to the backup.

It worked *PERFECT*.  Ran right through the three shares and backed them
up.  Not exactly sure why it wasn't working the other way.  For this one
client, I don't mind having the extra step of creating the shares, it is
not something that is going to change.

Thanks!  And thanks for the confirmation on the rsyncd user/pass meaning
nothing, I figured it was a doesn't matter, but wasn't sure, that is why I
matched it to my ID on the system just in case it was slipping through
somehow.