> Hi.
> What is the best backup method for Windows 7/8/2008/2012 clients?
>
> I read many limitations/problems on SMB method, and I read that many
> users use rsyncd/rsync on SSH/DeltaCopy.

Neither smb nor rsync can inherently read open files; they're file
transports.  Rsync does have other advantages over smb (reliability and
efficiency of transfer) and is often coupled with a method of
instantiating Windows' volume shadow copy service.

> But I read that some other users use the Volume Shadow Copy Service
> which seems to be more reliable
> (http://urkomasse.blogspot.it/2012/10/using-backuppc-with-windows-server-2008.html).

The volume shadow copy service doesn't back up anything, it simply
provides a way of reading open files, which is otherwise semantically
prevented by Windows -- as well as supporting VSS providers which ensure
that data is in a consistent state, which can be more specialized for
applications like SQL Server.

> What is your advise?
> Please note that I will need to be able to backup also open (locked)
> files like data files of SQL Server.

Given that, a VSS/rsync combination is more or less required.  There are
two methods for coordinating the shadow copy service with rsync -- ssh and
winexe.  I use the winexe method here, and put together an installer to
handle the various Windows versions (though I haven't yet updated it for
2012/8+.