I found that trying to do a full restore of / seems to break down here:
Sending /vmlinuz (remote=vmlinuz) type = 2
  restore l 777       0/0          30 /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-3.19.0-33-generic
Remote[1]: rsync: mknod "/dev/pts/1" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
Remote[1]: rsync: mknod "/dev/pts/11" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
Read EOF:
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 215256 files, 5884382843 bytes
restore failed: Unable to read 7237443 bytes

It seems I need to do more research as to what folders in the / directory can
be restored and which shouldn't.

I've also discovered that although a restore of, say a particular file or
directory, may finish long before the backuppc gui has updated the status. In
addition, I have found little to no issues restoring large directories to
temporary folders on the client computer, rather than overriding the existing
directories during the restore process. I am eager to see what happens when I
replace the folders on the system with the ones sent by my backuppc.