On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 23:15 +1300, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Hanspeter Kunz <hk...@ifi.uzh.ch> [2015-12-03 21:42
> +1300]:
> > In my opinion, a clean, easy and efficient way to have a BackupPC
> > mirror is to use some disk-mirroring as drbd. with this you can
> > avoid
> > to run backups twice on the clients (one for master backup, another
> > one
> > for the secondary backup). of course, for this you need the same
> > amount
> > of disk space on the second backupPC server. but disk is cheap, and
> > if
> > the data is worth it, I would always spend the money. Probably you
> > can
> > raise such money from the people that own that data stored on your
> > machines (which includes me ;).
>
> How does drbd perform across remote links?

depends on the link ;) but in my experience, the bottleneck is more
likely to be the disk than the network, at least concerning throughput.
Remember: drbd only transfers blocks that are *written*, but during a
backup, because you compare old and new content, you have a substantial
amount of read requests. therefore, the disks are more likely to be the
bottleneck. but this of course also depends on the speed of your
disks/disk array.

if you have a high latency between primary and secondary backup, then
you can use drbd also asynchronously.

best,
hp