Hi,

Sorin Srbu wrote on 2017-04-10 06:14:07 +0000 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Excluding
folders from backup]:
> > From: Holger Parplies [mailto:wb...@parplies.de]
> > [...]
> >
> > Almost. In fact, an exclude for "*" is applied to all shares *which don't
> > have a specific exclude*. So, if you used, for example,
> >
> > $Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {
> >     '/home/sorin' => [
> >         '/Videos'
> >     ],
> >     '*' => [
> >         '/ownCloud'
> >     ]
> > };
> >
> > /home/sorin/Videos would be excluded, but /home/sorin/ownCloud would
> > *not*!
>
> Hmm. This could be applied to all cache-folders I don't want backed up.
> With the info above, I'd need to add * and /cache, /Cache and perhaps
> /.cache and /.Cache to catch them all.
>
> Am I thinking correctly now?

I'm not sure I understand you correctly. If you want to exclude those
directories everywhere, the exclude

$Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {
    '*' => [
        '/cache',
        '/Cache',
        '/.cache',
        '/.Cache',
    ],
};

would work, ***however***, if you have more keys, for example

    '/home/sorin' => [
        '/Videos',
        '/ownCloud',
    ],

you would need to copy the cache-related excludes into that also, i.e.

    '/home/sorin' => [
        '/Videos',
        '/ownCloud',
        '/cache',
        '/Cache',
        '/.cache',
        '/.Cache',
    ],

because the '*' excludes *don't apply* for shares with a specific exclude,
as I tried to explain above.

Hope that makes it clearer.

Regards,
Holger