Over two years ago I discovered that BackupPC v3 will not backup acl and
xattr file attributes. At that time, it was suggested to try v4 (had
just been released as beta(?), I think) and I did get an OS to run v4.0.
It (v4.0) backups failed when "acls" and "xattrs" RsyncArgsExtra where
activated. So, I worked out a simple alternative for the time being with
rsync.

 Now, let me explain my need. I have a Samba4 active directory setup
with one machine acting as a member server that carries the redirected
files from all the W workstations. This active directory requires the
use of acls and xattrs file attributes.

 Enter BackupPC v4.1.2 (now.) I have created a test rig to test bpc4 and
it is backing up the active directory setup. Both domain controllers
(these machines do NOT incorporate the use of "acls" and "xattrs"
attributes) backup just fine. The member server (a file server), on the
other hand, has acls and xattrs attributes activated on the /home
directory but, will not backup the /home directory. All other
directories are being backed up from the member server.

 When I set "RsyncArgsExtra" to include "acls" and "xattrs" the machine
backups up but the /home backup is empty. I have disabled one, then the
other and finally both to see if BackupPC will backup the /home in any
fashion, the /home directory remains empty.

 A brief explanation of "acls" and "xattrs" settings on a member server.
Only directories under /home have had any adjustments to these file
attributes by the domain administrators. User files with in the
subdirectories are adjusted to meet the needs of users on the
workstations.

 Therefore, it is my belief that this is the reason BackupPC v4.1.2 will
not back up anything under the /home directory.

 I have checked Rsync backups and they include these file attribute
settings. So my question (finally) is this, if Rsync (on Ubuntu 16.04LTS
uses Rsync 3.1.1-3ubuntu1) works with "acls" and "xattrs", why doesn't
Rsync_bpc?

(Sorry for the lengthy explanation.)