This is a two part question/problem report.

We backup a file system that has a sub-directory that generally contains
around 39K small files that usually adds up to 16GB.   The files see a fair
amount of churn month to month, and we were pulling from a backup about 2
weeks ago.

When we try to browse the backup to perform a restore of a specific file,
the listing ended up taking more than 5 minutes to render to the web
browser, and we were not able to use the web interface to directly browse
to and restore the file.   If we didn't already have pretty much the exact
date of the file, it would have been 'difficult' to determine which backup
to start using.

Question1:  How do people generally deal with this type of situation, where
the number of files in a directory are difficult to display via the
BackupPC Web interface?

PART 2:

Our workaround was to "Download Tar File" of the entire subdirectory so
that we could pull out the file.   Here's where we ran into an interesting
issue.

The downloaded tar file was 110GB, larger than the expected size of 16GB,
and even larger than the file system is capable of holding (100GB).   The
tar file contained 106K files, more than the expected 39K files that live
in the directory.

This may also explain why trying to browse the backup via the Web
interface, it timed out trying to list 106K entries!

Problem Report:  A tar file download is much larger than expected, and
contains more data than could possibly have been on the disk at the time of
the backup.

Any theories on what would cause this behavior?

--
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.