Hi,

fujisan wrote on 2017-12-12 13:08:08 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Error: Wrong
user: my userid is 48, instead of 955(backuppc)]:
> [...]
> I have the following:
> -r-------- 1 backuppc apache    29 Sep 11  2015 /etc/httpd/conf/password.conf

that would seem to be a problem (unrelated), because authentication is probably
done by Apache, not the BackupPC_Admin script ... ah ... it appears it won't
be, if you've changed the user for Apache (which I wouldn't do).

> -rwsr-x--- 1 backuppc apache  7128 Aug  2 18:51
> /usr/libexec/BackupPC/BackupPC_Admin

Well, and /usr/libexec/BackupPC?

> in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
> User backuppc
> Group apache

Presuming setuid is working for Perl scripts (which it may not), there would
be no reason to change this. Even if setuid Perl scripts don't work, there
are probably better ways to do this. Is your web server running anything else
besides BackupPC?

Presuming you really *do* keep this, remove the setuid on BackupPC_Admin.

> [...]
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Jamie Burchell <ja...@ib3.co.uk> wrote:
> > You need to configure Apache (/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf on CentOS 7) to
> > run under user ???backuppc???:

Can't say I'd agree. Besides the obvious implications, that sort of puts you
back on square one, where you might have to change all sorts of things on your
system just to get Apache to run. Repeat on every security update of Apache.
You'd better know what you're doing, in which case you wouldn't be here.

It certainly is *a* possible solution, but it's neither elegant nor mandatory,
nor should it be suggested without warning about the many implications.

> [...]
> > -rwsr-x--- 1 apache apache 7128 Aug  2 18:51
> > /usr/libexec/BackupPC/BackupPC_Admin

At this point, it was obvious, but you've figured that out. Did you mention
whether the error message stayed the same after you changed that?

> > I have changed the ownership of BackupPC_Admin to backuppc and the
> > permissions as well.:
> >
> > drwxr-xr-x 2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Dec 11 16:53 /usr/libexec/BackupPC/
> > -rwsr-x--- 1 backuppc backuppc 7128 Aug  2 18:51 /usr/libexec/BackupPC/
> > BackupPC_Admin
> >
> > And the log says:
> > [Tue Dec 12 10:50:58.607612 2017] [cgid:error] [pid 715:tid
> > 139944750074112] (13)Permission denied: AH01241: exec of
> > '/usr/libexec/BackupPC/BackupPC_Admin' failed

Well, yes, that's still obvious, because Apache has no execute permission.

> > Well, I cannot figure out how to setup backuppc.

And I can't figure out how to stop people from top-posting.

> > Any help welcome

Same here.

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: If your distribution's BackupPC package doesn't work with your
      distribution's Apache package and doesn't provide information on how
      to fix that, you should probably file a bug report.