Hi,

On 2018-07-28 20:04, Guillermo Rozas wrote:
Agreed, that is my situation. I'm reasonably sure of the system(UPS, Debian stable, ext4), but as my backups are relatively small (1<TB) I can trade some extra hours of backup once in a while for the extra peace of mind.

IIUC, you want a way to check the integrity of the pool files on the server side. BackupPC 3 used to have such a function, by re-checksumming and verifying some percentage of the pool during a nightly (can't remember the details, and I don't have the v3 docs available).

If you want to do this for yourself, it's pretty easy with a cronjob. Just compare, for all files in $topDir/pool/*/*/, their md5sum with the filename. Same = good, not the same = bad. If your pool is compressed, pipe the compressed files in $topDir/cpool/*/*/ through pigz [1] (which, as opposed to gzip, can handle the headerless gz format used there), as in the following piece of bash:

  digest=$(pigz -dc $file | md5sum -b | cut -d' ' -f1)

Now, check if $digest == $file, and you have a sanity check. (It's slightly more annoying to find out where $file was referenced in case it is corrupted; but it's possible, and I recommend not to worry about that until it happens.)

Of course, you can easily scrub only a part of your pool, just choose how many subdirectories you want to process each night.

  1: https://zlib.net/pigz/

HTH,
Alex