I can answer the rsync compression question.  no.  Running gzip'd data through
gzip is a waste of CPU power.  Depending on your link and CPU speed it may even
slow down your ability to transfer data.

As for the recovery from an rsync'd backup...
If your /etc/BackupPC and /var/lib/BackupPC directories are already symlinks to
other locations, you can easily shut down BackupPC, swap links, and start it
up.  So long as both systems are running the same version, it should come up
cleanly.

I gave up backing up the backup server though.  If you want proper redundancy
you run backups in parallel, not in a chain.  If one backup server has access
to the other backup server, then it has the potential (if compromised) to
destroy all of your backups and originals from one location.  Redundant backups
should live in separate private enclaves.

        ED.