Guillermo,

Actually, I'm still unsure if there is a problem with the files themselves
> or with the decompression, as pigz complains that "trailing junk was
> ignored" on both files. Any idea why could be that?

Pigz doesn't correctly support BackupPC compressed files, although it will
in some cases.  The reported error is likely the problem.  Please use
BackupPC_zcat instead and report back.

I added a guide to the Wiki to find out where a pool file is referenced
<https://github.com/backuppc/backuppc/wiki/How-to-find-which-backups-reference-a-particular-pool-file>
.

Craig