Is rsync running as root on the client side?  If not, it won't have
permission to chown files to root.  An example setting would be:

$Conf{RsyncClientPath} = 'sudo /usr/bin/rsync';

This requires the backuppc user to have sudo privileges.  You should
exercise some caution in doing this, since a successful attack on the
BackupPC server gives unlimited access to the clients.

Craig