Hi there,

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, David Koski wrote:

I am trying to back up about 24TB of data that has millions of files.?
It takes a day or to before it starts backing up and then stops ...

Your post is a little light on detail.

BackupPC installations routinely back up that kind of data volume.

My own systems are relatively smaller.  At my place of business I have
for example a dozen Linux hosts and about 14TB backed up nightly using
BackupPC V4.  An incremental backup takes between a couple of minutes
and 20 or 25 minutes, depending on machine.  Anything between a couple
of hundred thousand to a million files.  For the machine with the most
data to be backed up, a full can take 6 - 7 hours.  Most of these are
fairly capable machines with 6GB/s SATA disc (no RAID), 1Gb/s network.

In a case like yours I'd try to use the Razor technique, which means
try to split the job into smaller pieces.  There are many ways to do
it but without more information from you I hesitate.  The performance
of a filesystem can leave something to be desired when an individual
directory can contain hundreds of thousands or millions of files, but
it very much depends on the filesystem.

HTH

--

73,