On 2019-08-03 2:56 p.m., Michael Stowe wrote:

On 2019-08-03 08:24, Norman Goldstein wrote:

    Am running Fedora 30 x86-64, BP 4.3.1
    Am not able to start the BackupPC server manually.

    I would like to be able to run the BC server manually, to be
    able to debug into it.  When I do, as root:

         systemctl stop backuppc

    this stops the server.  Then, as user backuppc, to start the
    server manually:

         /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC

    but the BP web page does not come back to life.  I kill this,
    and do:

         systemctl start backuppc

    and the BP web page comes back to life.  I checked the sysd file

    > cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/backuppc.service

        [Unit]
        Description= BackupPC server
        After=syslog.target local-fs.target remote-fs.target

        [Service]
        Type=simple
        User=backuppc
        Group=backuppc
        ExecStart=/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC
        ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
        PIDFile=/var/run/BackupPC/BackupPC.pid

    so there does not seem to be anything special about invoking the
    BP server.  The same problem if I use the  -d  flag when
    invoking BackupPC .

Perhaps not special enough, but surely you've noticed these lines?

User=backuppc
Group=backuppc

Yes, I invoke BackupPC from a backuppc xterm:
$ groups
backuppc
$ whoami
backuppc

Thanks for raising that possibility.

Since it's a simple type, there's not anything special that systemd does except ... exactly what you did at the command line.  (N.B.:  it's possible to override systemd with unit files that take priority, but I imagine if something like that were at play you'd know about it.)

What this leaves is environmental differences between the user backuppc's shell and systemd's backuppc environment -- I can't imagine what that would be that would be that would affect only the web service...  What is the configuration for that (from backuppc's config)?

Thanks for thinking about this.  Here is what I do to set up BP:

   htpasswd -c /etc/BackupPC/apache.users backuppc

Edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:

   Change ‘User apache‘ to ‘User backuppc'

Here is the backuppc environment:
$ env -v
SHELL=/bin/bash
SUDO_GID=1000
HOSTNAME=melodic
HISTSIZE=1000
SUDO_COMMAND=/usr/bin/su -s /bin/bash backuppc
SUDO_USER=norm30
PWD=/usr/share/BackupPC/bin
LOGNAME=backuppc
HOME=/var/lib/BackupPC
USERNAME=norm30
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LS_COLORS= many lines of stuff :-)
TERM=xterm-256color
USER=backuppc
DISPLAY=:0
SHLVL=1
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
SUDO_UID=1000
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/norm30
_=/usr/bin/env
OLDPWD=/home/save/src/dev/msrc/NN

The reason I want to debug into BackupPC is that I am not able to run backups from the GUI -- the backup requested is always set to "idle".  However, BackupPC_dump runs fine from the backuppc command prompt, for both incremental and full backups.  The GUI problem only started happening a few weeks ago.  My disk systems are nowhere near full.