On 2019-08-29 13:02, Bob McClure Jr wrote:
I'm at wit's end -- a short trip.  I have a very simple setup of a
Linux server (CentOS 6) running BackupPC to back up a Win 10 Pro
machine.  BackupPC is BackupPC-3.3.1-5.el6.x86_64 from the EPEL repo.
On the Win 10 box, I created a normal user "backuppc" with a password,
and then put him in the local "Backup Operators" group.  I'm using SMB
for the backup method.

# smbclient '//nate/C$' -U backuppc -c pwd
Enter backuppc's password:
Domain=[NATE] OS=[Windows 10 Pro 18362] Server=[Windows 10 Pro 6.3]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

And of course, the backups fail.  I've done a Web search from the Win
10 aspect, the samba aspect, and the BackupPC aspect, and have come up
dry.

Here is the hosts file:

host        dhcp    user    moreUsers
nate    0       bob

You can debug this entirely at the command line; you're likely to find "-d debuglevel" helpful as it can help you pinpoint exactly what's going wrong.

As another response alluded to, this is often due to smbclient not supporting recent enough protocol versions; ratcheting up the debug level should allow you to see the negotiation. If this is indeed the case, this can be mitigated by upgrading smbclient (preferred) or allowing Win10 to fall back to older versions.