Are you using tar via SMB for macOS hosts? Any reason not to use rsync?

My conjecture is that whatever runs on the host to cooperate with BackupPC
needs Full Disk Access, but I don't know what that would mean for tar/SMB
on macOS. It's not clear to me that anything is launched on the host during
such a backup, so maybe it's the SMB client that needs Full Disk Access.

Is the chroot error occurring on the BackupPC machine, or on the macOS host?

When the real BackupPC experts chime in, they typically ask for logs or log
extracts to help with diagnosis, so this might be a good time to post an
example showing the failure, perhaps with extra logging .

Robert Trevellyan