HI,

Backup server is CentOS 7.7 running BackupPC 4.3.1,
client is new CentOS 8 desktop
I have it setup to use sudo for doing the backup.
If I ssh over to the system I can do a command line

/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/rsync -av /etc m...@blackstar.sr.unh.edu:~mlm/

this works

This is the error I get from the backuppc logs

rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2.1]
rsync_bpc exited with fatal status 255 (65280) (rsync error: unexplained
error (code 255) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.2.1])

This is the rsync child about to exec /usr/local/bin/rsync_bpc
bpc_attrib_backwardCompat: WriteOldStyleAttribFile = 0, KeepOldAttribFiles
= 0
rsync_bpc: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
[Receiver]

Also I have a different CentOS 8 system where I do the backup as root and
it works.

Any suggestions on further troubleshooting this issue?

Mark