The reason we didn’t do that (put the VM disk images on the external storage)
was more related to the complexity (breaking our design rules) of presenting
another storage pool to our VM environment from the external storage.   That
being said, without our design rules in place, we could have presented a
storage pool from the external storage to our VM infrastructure and done
exactly as you propose.

The rationale for us is that the storage that hosts our VM disk images is quite
robust (dual controllers), and we choose not to use our external storage (which
doesn’t have the same dual controller redundancy)  for running VM disk images
so that if we need to take it off line for patching, there’s zero impact.