> > Most of
> > the time the "ZLIB/PIGZ ERROR" above is related to this, so the script
> > re-checks them by uncompressing them using BackupPC_zcat. If the error
> > persists, then you will see an extra "CHECKSUM ERROR", which means the
> file
> > is actually corrupted.
>
> Is there some compelling reason not to use BackupPC_zcat in the first
> place?

Yes. At least on my server (Banana Pi), BackupPC_zcat is four times slower
than either zlib or pigz. As the number of errors of this kind is usually
really small, it's still faster to re-check the errors than using
BackupPC_zcat for all the files. But one should test it for their server
and select the best option, taking into account the balance between CPU,
memory and disk.

Regards,
Guillermo