Guillermo Rozas wrote at about 13:31:58 -0300 on Monday, January 4, 2021:
 > On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 1:39 PM <backu...@kosowsky.org> wrote:
 >
 > > I am considering either:
 > > 1. (old) Pi 3 - Quad core  ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz.
 > >                 1GB memory (with 256MB used for video)
 > >                 USB 2.0
 > >
 > > 2. (new) Pi 4 - Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
 > >                 8GB memory
 > >                 USB 3.0
 > >

 > One point you would want to take into account: the Pi3 LAN connectivity is
 > through the USB2 interface, and the bandwidth is shared with it. Between
 > the independent Gigabit LAN on the Pi4 and the USB3 drive connection, the
 > latter should be much faster for data transfer and file checksum. That's
 > the main reason I moved from a Pi2 to a Banana Pi Pro (gigabit, SATA drive).

Interesting... how does Banana Pi Pro compare to Pi4? e.g.,
performance, interfaces/ports, price, support...

How compatible (if at all) is it with Raspberry Pi?
How strong is the user community?

Basically, I am looking for a low power, (relatively) cheap,
(relatively) high performance plug-type computer to run things like
mythfrontend, backuppc, or any other projects that I have that require
less than a full PC and more than an Arduino :)

Also, want to make sure it has good support so that the platform will
be around for a while and I don't have to start again if it gets abandoned.

 > How does 4.x compare with 3.x in terms of CPU and memory usage?
Not sure... though later versions of general rsync are, I think more efficient
memory-wise... if memory serves me correctly :)