Hi all,

I have been running backuppc 3.x for many years (I think I have been
running backuppc itself since about 2003 or 2004, but this particular
installation seems to be from late 2006 or early 2007). I am currently
running 3.3.1-4 on a Debian sid box. I know some helpful soul will suggest
upgrading to 4.x. That is in my plans, but I plan to run it on my FreeNAS
box, and I am currently expanding the pool to accommodate it. So until that
point, I am running on this box.

A little background, this is my home backup solution. I have about 11
boxes, a couple of desktops, a couple of laptops (for my wife and I), and a
number of jails, containers, and VMs.

Lately I have noticed a buildup of cruft in /var/lib/backuppc. I found that
i could store fewer and fewer backups, and finally, yesterday, I wrote my
latest backups off to the NAS, and deleted every backup. So now, I have
zero backups on my server, I ran BackupPC_nightly, and my /var/lib/backuppc
is still sitting at 90% capacity. I am trying to figure out where the cruft
is living, and what is safe to get rid of.

So with 0 backups on the system, /var/lib/backuppc is sitting at 90%
utilization:

/dev/mapper/vg00-backuppc  763G  653G   74G  90% /var/lib/backuppc

I drilled down a bit further, and it appears most of the space is taken up
by pc (452GB) and cpool (201GB). Can the cpool directory be deleted and
backuppc recreate it later? I suspect this is the case. Because I have zero
backups, the files in this directory structure seem to be some leftover of
past days.