On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 11:49, Joseph Bishay <joseph.bis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I understand that and agree.  This is a network in a small school and
> community centre and we are volunteers running the network, and none of us
> are I.T. experts.  We have a plan during the summer break to try to fix the
> hostname issue as recommended.  For now, is there a way to have the names of
> the different clients be something other than IP addresses, perhaps by
> manually updating one of the fields? If it is the ClientNameAlias do I just
> put a fake hostname or text in that field or something else?

It sounds to me like your best option for cleanup is to do as Lee
Mikesell pointed out, and can use ClientNameAlias.   This will allow
you to put a host name in the hosts file, so that the names in
backuppc are meaningful, but avoid needing DNS resolution by putting
the IP address in the ClientNameAlias field for the host.

To get there from where you are I think you'll want to do this in two
steps.  Shut down backuppc and then do the following:
1) Rename all of the hosts in backuppc to some meaningful hostname.  I
did this recently when we renamed a few hosts and used this procedure
here, which worked fine:
<https://gopukrish.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/rename-a-host-in-backuppc/>.
  Disregard the "start up backuppc" step in there for now.

2) Once everything is renamed, go into each host's individual config,
and set ClientNameAlias to the IP address you want to backup that host
from.

Then you can go restart backuppc.