I highly recommend installing etckeeper. It puts all of /etc under revision control. I use CentOS which is based on yum/dnf/rpm and it will perform an auto-commit of changed files before updating. I disable that feature so that yum won't update until I manually commit any outstanding configuration changes, to make sure they get a proper change comment. etckeeper uses git by default but you can use another revision control system if you prefer. A minimal knowledge of git is handy for doing manual commits and inspecting your change history.

Your distribution should include an etckeeper package.

https://www.tecmint.com/manage-etc-with-version-control-using-etckeeper/