Thanks Craig.
That being said, the reason I noticed it, is that I was actually
looking to find or write a CLI-type BackupPC_rsyncRestore that could
take a short list of parameters and allow for a flexible rsync restore
-- that would be more flexible and more "scriptable" than navigating
the web interface.

Something that would take:
   -h [host]
   -s [share]
   -n [backup]
   List of files or the ability to read in a list of files from a file
     destination (relative to which files would be restored)
   Optional backup destination (instead of the default share root)
   Potentially even the ability to restore to a different host.

Basically something that would make it easy to extract or restore a
backup or more often subset of a backup (whether a single file or
directory or a collection thereof) and restore it to an arbitrary
place on the original server (or maybe even on another server).

I actually find that I currently am more likely to either hack
something directly calling rsync_bpc (which is messy, especially
getting the merges right)) or to just rsync to a backuppc fuse
filesystem (but ACLs are not well treated and I don't fully trust it's
robustness). And I rarely use the web interface as it is painful,
slow, and less powerful than the world of CLI, regex, scripting, etc.

At least start with something robust and simple...

I don't see a need for a standalone BackupPC_rsyncBackup since
BackupPC_dump (plus a per-host config file) does pretty much all you
need to do...
(though I have been playing with doing backups via naked rsync_bpc
as part of my troubleshooting but it messes up pool reference counts
unless you use a separate TopDir sandbox :) )

Jeff

Craig Barratt via BackupPC-users wrote at about 20:47:45 -0800 on Tuesday,
January 25, 2022: