Kenneth Porter wrote at about 18:44:40 -0800 on Thursday, February 10, 2022:
 > Is anyone using the rsync/rsyncd method with the open-noatime option to
 > avoid unnecessary metadata writes when comparing files?

Not sure what open-noatime means... but I have been running backuppc
using rsync (not rsyncd) on btrfs with the noatime mount option for 2+
years now without incident.

BTW, why are you using 'rsyncd' vs. 'rsync'?
I used it to use it in the past on an ancient slow arm-based NAS
because rsyncd was marginally faster than rsync.
But otherwise 'rsyncd' seems to have more security issues (e.g., it
relies on storing an ASCII password in a file) and seems more
cumbersome to set up.

With 'rsync' you just need to setup vanilla rsync login under cygwin
with nothing else to configure.

Using my inline perl for dump pre/post user commands, you can even
have it automate snapshotting (via VSS shadow copies) before backup
(including creating and deleting shadow copies) without any extra
client-sided code...