I have always interpreted the 3-2-1 strategy to apply to copies of your data,
not the number of backups
(https://www.backblaze.com/blog/the-3-2-1-backup-strategy/)

As such, I’ve used two strategies over time.
1)  Use BackupPC to backup local devices in the same building/LAN, and have a
second BackupPC instance in a separate space also running backups of the same
devices.  ( 3 copies of the data: the source, one on local backup, one on
remote backup.  Requires good network speeds between your local site and your
remote site.

2) Use BacukpPC to backup local devices to a NAS.  Use NAS replication to push
a copy of the BackupPC data to a remote device.

--
Ray Frush         "Either you are part of the solution
T:970.491.5527 <tel:970.288.6223>         or part of the precipitate."