On 6/29/23 15:11, Guillermo Rozas wrote:

    *I* don't do it, simply because there's little practical difference
    between rsync'ing directories that don't change and not rsync'ing
    them.

Just to give reason *I* use it:
- the cost/benefit of doing full backups for different folders is different (fulls take considerably longer than incrementals, and some folders like "Downloads" are not worth that extra time)

What's your transfer method?  While retention policy is a good point, the post you replied to is correct that there is no extra time required for fulls when using rsync.

The largest machine I'm backing up has 24T on it.  I currently have two level 0 backups stored for that machine, which took 12.5 minutes and 1.8 minutes to complete.  I also have a rather large number (I'd estimate 30ish, but too lazy to count them) of level 1 backups, which range from 2.0 to 18.4 minutes, with a pair of outliers at 23.9 and 70.4 minutes.  Aside from those two outliers (which are incrementals, not fulls!), there's no real difference in the time taken.

Fulls and incrementals take roughly the same amount of time when using an rsync transfer method, because rsync only sends changed data over the wire either way.