Thanks, yes the real problem is with the configuration of sshd on CS-9. It
seems to be slightly different than on CS-8. So I don't have ssh working on the
CS-9 box yet. I get the
following error when I try to ssh between accounts even on the laptop box
itself.

    sshd[2608]: refusing RSA key: Invalid key length [preauth]
    sshd[2608]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.1.8 port 35958 ssh2

So I was hoping for the test of BackupPC that running a manual backup when the
ssh login failed that it would fall back and ask for a password. This is just a
test laptop and I
wanted to make sure all the services I regularly use were working on it before
I upgraded my home network.

So it's back to sorting out sshd.

Have a look for that on

https://serverfault.com/questions/1095898/how-can-i-use-a-legacy-ssh-rsa-key-on-centos-9-stream