Just add everything you want to /etc/hosts on the backuppc server.

On 4/5/24 3:53 PM, Ian via BackupPC-users wrote:
Thank you!  You're completely right. When it says

    2024-04-05 15:28:10 Can't find host myhost.com via NS and netbios
    2024-04-05 15:28:10 can't ping  (client = myhost.com); exiting

It seems like the first line is the real failure, and the ping is never attempted.

Apologies for the list to cutting the log entry too short in my original post.

I guess this is my fault due to my setup.  I have several systems at a single dynamic ip.  I have backupPC set up like so:

    host1.myhost.com
    host2.myhost.com
    host3.myhost.com

The backuppc user's ssh config file has each of those hosts configured with different ports:

    Host host1.myhost.com
      Hostname myhost.com
      Port 11111
      User root

    Host host2.myhost.com
      Hostname myhost.com
      Port 11112
      User root

    Host host3.myhost.com
      Hostname myhost.com
      Port 11113
      User root

This way the backuppc user can ssh host3.myhost.com and be logged in to the proper system automatically.

I guess now my goal is to find out how to make backuppc bypass the dns check, or to check myhost.com instead of hostx.myhost.com.

Though perhaps I'm way off base and there's a better way of configuring all of this.

Ian