On Thursday 14 April 2005 15:38, Davide Bolcioni wrote:
> Arno Lehmann wrote:
> > Brennon Church wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> Is there a compatibility issue with gzip data between Windows and Linux
> >> clients?  I recently tried to restore a file from a backup of a Windows
> >> box to a Linux box, and got the following error:
> >
> >  From the manual, section FileSet configuration:
> >
> > portable=yes|no
> >     If set to yes (default is no), the Bacula File daemon will backup
> > Win32 files in a portable format, but not all Win32 file attributes will
> > be saved and restored. By default, this option is set to no, which means
> > that on Win32 systems, the data will be backed up using Windows API
> > calls and on WinNT/2K/XP, all the security and ownership attributes will
> > be properly backed up (and restored). However this format is not
> > portable to other systems - e.g. Unix, Win95/98/Me. When backing up Unix
> > systems, this option is ignored, and unless you have a specific need to
> > have portable backups, we recommend accept the default (no) so that the
> > maximum information concerning your files is saved.
>
> Is there some interest in addressing this ? I have recollections of
> mucking around with BackupRead/BackupWrite stream format for recovering
> data from a corrupted backup, and it seems to me that there is actually
> documentation somewhere. I got my data out of the stream for sure, but I
> cannot remember if it was Windows NT 3.51 or early Windows NT 4.

Yes, there is some documentation, and I would like to be able to read Windows
BackupWrite data on any system, but it requires a good deal of work,
especially to ensure that it is 32/64 bit compatible, that one doesn't
violate any Microsoft License by using or copying their headers, and that one
handles bigendian/littlendian data formats. If there is someone willing to
work on it, I'd be pleased as it is not currently the highest of my
priorities.

> Davide Bolcioni

Kern

  (">