> this is most likely due to the fact that bacula has not mounted the
> drive.  this is different than when the operating system mounts a
> device, altho I can see how the termonology can be misleading.
>  typing "mount" in bconsole should do the trick.  it looks like from
> the messages bellow, the user that you are running bconsole as does
> not have permission to read/write to the /dev/sa0 device.  you will
> probably want to take care of this too ;)

Thanks Pete - I think I am understanding you.  if you look at the output
below.  I typed "mount" and specified the onstream drive.  after the
successful mount executing the label command complains of /dev/sa0 not being
mounted.  what else can I try here?

can you please tell me or point me to the location in the documentation that
explains how I can grant permission for read/write to the /dev/sa0.  I am
running bconsole as root at the moment and find that I can write just fine to
/dev/sa0 .

--- snip ---

# whoami
root
# bconsole
Connecting to Director typhoon:9101
1000 OK: typhoon-dir Version: 1.36.2 (28 February 2005)
Enter a period to cancel a command.
*mount
Using default Catalog name=MyCatalog DB=bacula
The defined Storage resources are:
     1: File
     2: Onstream
Select Storage resource (1-2): 2
3001 OK mount. Device=/dev/sa0
You have messages.
*label
The defined Storage resources are:
     1: File
     2: Onstream
Select Storage resource (1-2): 2
Enter new Volume name: backup
Automatically selected Pool: Default
Connecting to Storage daemon Onstream at typhoon.enabled.com:9103 ...
Sending label command for Volume "backup" Slot 0 ...
3910 Unable to open device /dev/sa0. ERR=dev.c:289 stored: unable to open
device /dev/sa0: ERR=Permission denied

Label command failed for Volume backup.
Do not forget to mount the drive!!!
*