And if you prefer to avoid the issues involved with dynamic dns, here is a perl module for parsing the leases file from the ISC DHCP server:
http://search.cpan.org/~jshearer/Text-DHCPparse-0.07/DHCPparse.pm

Leni.

Arno Lehmann wrote:
David Clymer wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 13:15 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

tir, 03,.05.2005 kl. 12.49 -0400, skrev David Clymer:

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 18:40 +0200, Christopher Rasch-Olsen Raa wrote:

Hi,

Just a quick question, arrest me if I have misunderstood the doc's. :p

Why is Bacula written so that the Director is the one who contacts the
clients with the data for backup, instead of the Clients contacting

the

Director whenever they need to do the backup?

I'm guessing that it's because it allows for centralized scheduling and
control of backup jobs.

-davidc

Good point, though maybe bad news for us.

At the office we are going to have 20+ clients that are to be taken
backup of regularly. These clients recieve their ip's via DHCP. Offsite
we will have our backupserver (in case of fires etc). In the case of the
Director contacting each and every client, won't I have to manually
reroute ports to each of the machines internally, every time they change
ip, for the Director to be able to find them?

- Christopher

I would suggest putting your director inside your [internal] network and
placing your storage daemon off-site. That will take care of your problem
with NAT, but unfortunately, I can't think up anything to get around the
fact that you're fully DHCP.

Dynamic DNS could be useful here, could it not? This would allow the one
to specify clients' hostname's in one's config and the IP would be
discovered by DNS.

And, of course, there is the setip command from the console. If DDNS doesn't work for you (though I really don't see why it wouldn't) and your DHCP server doesn't reassign the IP addresses (ISC dhcpd does that, at least, and it's a useful behaviour IMO), then you can still try to include a script into your dhcp client program to register their new IPs to the director.

Arno

-davidc

--
You won't be happy with more until you're happy with what you've got.
-Viki King