Thanks a lot Kern.  I've got all indexes atm except for "INDEX
(FilenameId, PathId)".  I'll add that and see what kind of effect it
has.  I'll reply back to the list with the results.

I think my problem may be the amount of small files.  Most of the
backups are web servers containing a lot of images, html, etc.  As I
said before any 1 server can have anywhere between 20-500G of web
content alone.

Do you think that I would be better off with Postgres, or should MySQL
hold up?  I have increased the RAM in the server and also added some
lines to my.cnf:
key_buffer              = 512M
sort_buffer             = 32M
read_buffer_size        = 16M
max_allowed_packet      = 16M
thread_stack            = 128K

query_cache_limit       = 1048576
query_cache_size        = 16777216
query_cache_type        = 1

It no longer stays pegged at 99%, but jumps from around 94-99.  I
currently have it running 8 concurrent jobs.  Would slowing this down
speed up the individual backups and the entire set as a whole?  As I
said, they started out pulling between 1-3Mb a piece, but are now all at
about 50kb/sec.

I'm sure this all has something to do with my setup, but just can't put
my finger on it.

I'll add that other index and let you know.

Again, thanks for your reply,

-Ronan