On Wednesday 25 May 2005 04:34 am, Jo wrote:
> Danie Theron wrote:
> > Hi ,
> >
> > I know this is a bit off bacula topic probably. I want to remove RAID1
> > from a disk , everytime I boot it it's looking for the 2nd disk. I
> > want to simpy boot into a normal "vanilla" disk. Can I edit the fstab
> > and just change the /dev/md0 device to whatever the disk is (/dev/hda)
> > ? I'm really at odds here , if anyone can maybe help me or point me in
> > the right direction that would be great.
>
> You formatted gave that partition on /dev/hda a RAID type. So it will be
> impossible to access it directly that way. The best thing to do is to
> add a disk, copy everything over and then reformat the disk with the
> RAID partition and copy it all back. Or else keep everything on the new
> disk.

        I don't think that's really necessary, since RAID1 is mirroring. I've
been
able to mount the individual partitions (with RAID not running) as regular
linux partitions (usually ext3) with no untoward effects. The RAID superblock
doesn't seem to interfere with the file system.

        All that's necessary is to change the partition type so that the kernel
doesn't identify it as a RAID partition and keep trying to start the array.
You can then zero the RAID superblock for good measure.

> Of course the even better thing would be to rebuild your RAID array with
> such a new disk. raidhotadd is your friend. Don't forget to modify your
> /etc/raidtab if you go that way.

        I would recommend using mdadm. I found it much easier to learn and very
reliable.

--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----