From: Arno Lehmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: May 31, 2005 12:53 PM
To: Quintin Giesbrecht
Cc: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape Drive Compatibility

Hello,

Quintin Giesbrecht wrote:

> I have bacula setup on a Fedora Core 3 server with a Seagate 20/40 dat
> tape drive currently.  We are looking at upgrading to an LTO drive.
We
> are looking at 3 drives, wondering if anyone can give me feedback on
any
> of the drives, either good or bad.  Thanks for your time!
>
> HP LTO Model # Q1543A#ABA

It's an Ultrium-1 drive.

> Dell Powervault 110T

Ultrium-1, probably an IBM unit. Usually, they work, but they're not
cheap.

> Certance CL200

According to my knowledge, there's no longer a CL200 from Quantum /
Certance. hat one was an Ultrium-1 drive, I think.

I would recommend an Ultrium-1 drive only if you can be really sure that

100GB native capacity are the right size for the next few years.

Usually, the amount of data you have to store grows faster than you
think, and having to change cartridges during a backup run while you
used the drive for only part of its estimated life time is annoying (at
least). Apart from that, I'd say you can buy any LTO drive you find and
get the quality and robustness you expect - but don't expect too much
from the half-height drives :-) Of course, I never compared many of
them...

Arno

> Thanks again!

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]