Hi,

Jay Lawrence wrote:

One thing that would be super desirable
    I have a bunch of clients (5 so far) that I wanna back up
however
If the tape fills up, all the remaining jobs block waiting for the tape to be free
worst case
The first client blocks - four 4 remaing jobs block until we can shove in a new tape

What would happen if I set my max concurrent jobs for the director up to the # of clients I plan to backup?

Your server would experience a higher load. Allover, your backups might run faster. Sounds good, right?

Only make sure that the tape drive doesn't start shoe shining - if all your tape devices and spooling disks use the same SCSI bus that's easily the case.

This seems to be generally advised against in the docs - but perhaps with data spooling is it ok?

The point is that, without spooling, data blocks from all the currently running blocks are shuffled on the tape, which makes restoring slower and is, according to Kern, error prone.

With spooling, this should work. I'm doing it with a handful of clients and, during normal test restores I never encountered problems. Just make sure you've got enough disk space, otherwise it's more or less pointless.

Arno

Jay

p.s. Bacula totally rocks - once I got over the learning curve it is totally amazing!

Yup.
Only some things missing, but I think we can trust Kern ;-)

Arno