Tony Whitmore wrote:
Hi,

I've been working on using Bacula on our site (~500 PCs) for the last
week or so, and have made great progress on test systems. I'll be
backing up about 7 or 8 servers once it's all up and running.

On the "proper" backup system I will be using 200GB USB2 external
HDDs as the stoarge medium. (We already have these as part of our
existing backup system.) These will be plugged into the Bacula server
(which is running the director, database and storage daemons). I want
to be able to use the HDDs one at a time - i.e. have one HDD out and
the others locked in the safe.

What I'm not too sure on is how to configure Bacula to live with the
scenario, as potentially each HDD could occupy the same device node
and mount point.
From what I can see, it could get confused about the absence of
certain
volumes, as there would be no apparent difference between the drives
once they are mounted - apart from their contents, of course. I read
in the manual section referring to multiple tape drives about
creating a series of symlinks in a directory to point to a number of
different volumes - would this be appropriate here? Would Bacula be
able to cope with the absence of a drive and prompt for its
connection? Or is there a better approach of managing this scenario?

I am running Bacula on Debian Sarge, using the stock Debian version
of the software.

Thanks in advance,

Tony Whitmore

Hi Tony,

I am running Bacula under FreeBSD and backing up about 6 servers to 120G
hard drives mounted in an external USB enclosure.  One drive is in the
enclosure, the other (only two drives) is in the safe.

There is no problem as the operating system simply mounts the drive
under, in my case, /usb, so as long as something is mounted there Bacula
can write it's backup files in the right place.

Once or twice the USB device was not mounted properly, and without
anything mounted to /usb the backup files ended up in the /usb directory
in the root filesystem, which quickly filled.  The server is used only
for Bacula, so no harm was done.

I set the volume lifetime to 7 days and/or update all volume stati to
'Used' when changing the drive over each week, so Bacula creates a new
volume each week on whichever drive happens to be attached.

I have one backup file per server, and one for the catalog, all written
to the HDD in the USB enclosure.  This is not necessarily the most ideal
situation, sometimes it is preferable to write the catalog backups to
another device or even another server, but for me it seems to work.

Rowdy