Hi,

I'm running Bacula 1.36.3, in a mutli-OS environment.

- The director is running on a Fedora Core 2 Machine.

- The Storage daemon is on the same machine, and stores to HD files,
in different directories (different "storage" and "Pool") of a 1.1T software RAID5 volume (/dev/md0).
The volume is made of 5  SATA drives of 300G each.

- I have a client on a Win2k server with about 160G of data,
and another one on an Xserve (OSx) machine with about 300G of data,
plus two other servers with smaller capacities.

All three machines are connected on a dedicated 1Gbps network, thus carrying no other traffic than bacula's.

I tried to backup sequentially the two machines, and the rate was about 6.3MB/sec for the win2k, and about 6.5MB/sec for the OSx machine. It took thus +/- 7 hours to full-backup the win2k server, and then +/-13.5 hours to full-backup the OSx server, thus a total of 20.5 hours

Then I made the two jobs concurrent, and the rates dropped to 2.3MB/s for the win2k, and 3.6MB/sec for the OSx. It took then +/- 19 hours to full-backup the win2k server, and at the same time +/-23.5 hours to full-backup the OSx server.

Does anybody have an idea on why thes rates a so bad when running concurrent ?

It thus seems the total bandwidth tops around 6MB/s... (2.3MB/s + 3.6MB/s)
- A 1Gbps network should max at 100MBytes / s, even with a lot of network / software overhead , it is still much higher no ? - A Sata drive is 150MB/s, not counting the RAID, again, even with all software losses, it is still much higher...

I have separate "storage" ressources, pointing to different "device" ressources, with different "pools".

Shall I use different Storage Daemons to increase this bandwidth ?
What if they are on the same machine ?

Any suggestions / advices / experiences would be very appreciated !

PS: Besides this small performance/ tuning issue, I'd like to point out Bacula is really powerfull, very versatile and open. It competes without problems with big commercial solutions (actually I switched from one of them to Bacula, simply because I wanted good multi-OS support). Keep on going guys, this is good soft !!

Nicolas.