Hello Phil,

Yes, now that you mention it, I remember having looked at these options a few
years ago. I changed my hard into a soft and ended up having frequent NFS
failures during long file transfers.  I finally had to go back to using hard
mounts.

Perhaps things have improved since my trials some years ago.  For example, it
*is* now possible for the OS to terminate stale hard NFS connections that are
hung during shutdown.  Previously this caused the shutdown to hang forever.

On Sunday 17 July 2005 18:28, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 03:57:54PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello Volker,
> >
> > About the only thing I can think of is that you have a stale or bad NFS
> > connection and you are trying to write the bootstrap file to another
> > machine with the bad NFS link -- or perhaps the other machine is just
> > down.  In that case, Bacula will hang forever.  Don't blame me -- I don't
> > know why NFS files when there is no one on the other end block forever.
>
> I'm CC'ing everyone involved on this because I seem unable to send mail
> to sourceforge (because Verizon refuses to give me a static IP on their
> residential DSL service, and I can't get any service except Verizon
> because I'm on an RSU to which they will not allow anyone else access).
>
> Basically this is an issue of NFS mount options.  Specifically, the
> mount options affecting this behavior are hard, sort, intr.  The default
> behavior is, if I recall correctly, hard with no intr.  What these do is
> the following:
>
> hard -- A program accessing a file on a NFS mounted file will hang
>         indefinitely if the server crashes or the connection is lost.
>         The process cannot be interrupted or killed.  When the NFS mount
>         comes back online, the process will resume exactly where it left
>         off as though nothing had happened.
>
> intr -- Allows a program hung on a stale or failed NFS mount to be
>         interrupted.
>
> soft -- Allows the kernel to time out if the NFS server is not
>         responding for some time.  The timeout can be specified with
>         timeo=<time>.
>
> So, if you're having problems with NFS mounts failing to respond during
> Bacula operation and causing Bacula to hang, you might try remounting
> your NFS mounts with, say, -o hard,intr or even -o soft,timeo=300 (which
> should cause the kernel to time-out the connection if it does not
> respond within 300 seconds).

Kern

  (">
  /\