Hi,

Adrian Close wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Arno Lehmann wrote:
This might give problems with job promotion, I try to avoid that by starting the affected backups by hand.

Yeah. So, my problem now becomes that promoted incrementals want to use the storage device defined in the job override. The promoted jobs therefore get written to disk (provided I have an appropriate FileStorage volume defined in my "full" pool). Scheduled full backups go to the right device.

That's the problem, right.

I can indeed get around this by running jobs manually, but I'll eventually have 150+ clients across three continents, so that gets tricky. ;)

You could work around that by adding one job at a time to the config and the schedules and start the initila full backup manually. That's some work, but not too bad, considering you're usually doing it only once. Or set up the schedules that the first full backup is scheduled just after including it into the configuration.

I suppose I can live with promoted full backups going to disk, given that the scheduled full backups will go to tape. The only thing I don't really like about that is that it increases the likelihood of full backups for often-absent clients never making it to tape.

Perhaps we need something like "Full Backup Storage" and "Incremental Backup Storage" directives so different backup types can be locked to a storage device.

Yes, that was discussed briefly, but I suppose that the upcoming python support will change baculas handling of job promotion and thus I didn't push that issue.

Alternatively, being able to attach a specific storage device to a pool would do the trick.

That's unfortunately not how bacula is intended to work, I think.

Arno

Thoughts?

Adrian Close                email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hitwise                    phone:    +61 3 8530 2446
Level 7, 580 St Kilda Road        fax:    +61 3 9529 8907
Melbourne, VIC, 3004, Australia        web:    http://www.hitwise.com/

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]