Misty,

On Friday 05 August 2005 11:24 am, Misty Stanley-Jones wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 11:18 am, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Keep in mind, when a volume is recycled it is not re-labeled.  Only the
> > first time the volume is created is it labeled.
>
> So if volume 31 is marked as purged and it is day 1 after a 30-day month, I
> will get volume 31 anyway?  Is there no way around it?

Like you, I like rational, meaningful names for my backup volumes, disk or
tape. I finally got around this problem by writing a bash script which is
executed in a run-before job that physically removes purged disk volumes so
that they can not be reused. The job executes in three steps. First, it runs
bconsole to compile a list of the purged volumes. Second, it runs beconsol
again deleting the purged volumes from the catalog. Then, it deletes them
from the hard drive. It's not pretty, but it works. (I probably could make it
somewhat more elegant if I took the time to write some sql code to access the
database directly, but I don't have the time and it sounds risky, anyway.)

After all of this, I then have bacula configured to create new disk volumes
with meaningful names, i.e., Bilskirnir-Full:2005-08-05,
Bilskirnir-Incr:2005-08-06, etc.

As for the number of the week of a month, I think you're going to have to
calculate that yourself. Even the date command doesn't seem to have an option
for that. Possibily, you could calculate this externally to bacula and then
pass it as an environment variable, but that sounds like you would have to
restart the director every day. :-(

HTH's

cmr
--
Debian 'Sarge': Registered Linux User #241964
----