On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 18:59 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> I can't quite figure out the above sentence.

Ok, I'll try to rephrase.

My current spool size is 60gigs.  My tape size is 100gigs uncompressed,
and my total backup job size for all my servers is roughly 350gigs.
When backups start, all my servers start sending data to the spool at
once.  This fills the spool quickly and then it despools.  It seems in
my situation, it will despool everything that had been spooled up to
that point, so parts of all the backup jobs running.  Because of this, I
wind up with each tape having data from 4~5 different jobs on it, but no
complete job.  The next tape will have another part of that 4~5
different jobs, and so on.

> > Is this correct?
>
> What I wrote is correct.  However, if the spool file fills all the jobs
> spooling will stop and one will begin despooling (assuming that one is not
> already despooling).  Once the despooling of the first job is done, it will
> begin spooling again, I'm not sure what happens to the other jobs. I suspect
> that each of the jobs that got caught with a full spool file will despool one
> by one, because once they decide to despool they never recheck the spool
> space, but you would have to look at the code to be sure.

Ok, I think you've answered my real question though, if I create a spool
size that is say 500gigs, all my jobs can complete before the spool
fills up, and then they will despool one at a time so that I can
hopefully get complete jobs on single tapes rather than spread across 4
tapes.

--
Jesse Keating
GameHouse -- Systems Engineer