On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Timo Eissler wrote:

I have DLT, the cleaning light comes on about once a year.

We have an AIT-2 drive. Once a year? this is great! our drive has such a light too, but it is on almost every monday
when i change tapes.

The frequency of cleaning lights is _very_ much related to dust levels in the environment and air, this can be quite surprising.

Probably in the case above you have dust buildup under the cabinet or carpets and tape changes are stiring up enough to get into the changer's air intakes.

The good changers have fairly effective cabinet air filters.

Smoking is also bad for tape drives - the ash in cigarette smoke is extremely abrasive and fine enough to get through most filters. I've run into a couple of cases where people were smoking outside, but near computer room air intakes, etc.