Arno,
Most of your suggestions helped alot, but now I ran into another gotcha. Now the restore part is almost completely automated, but here's the problem: If no tape is 'mounted' in bacula, the operator never gets the email to put the correct tape in. If I put in (random tape) and mount it, then the operator gets the email to put in the right tape. Do you or anybody else know of any way around this?

Arno Lehmann wrote:

Hi,

Jimmy Cartrette wrote:

Arno,

These customers are not the most technically feasible people, and I balk at them actually using a console program to do restores.

I won't argue here...

They were previously using a graphical Arcserve program under Netware. I really don't want to make them open up another wx-console and type mount, but from what I understand this might be what I have to do.

Let's wait if someone with more experience in using the wx-consolesrestore mode is around. It's quite possible that there will be a better solution, if not now, then later.

I'm not certain, but I think that the right combination of the device settings in the SD configuration might help you - I'm thinking about Always Open, Volume Poll Interval, Close on Poll and Offline on Unmount. You might try playing with those.

What I've done so far is added the Max Wait Time directive, and changed the cron jobs to "RunBeforeScript" and "RunAfterScript" to do the mounting/unmounting and labeling of Friday's tapes.

That sounds better. By the way, following my above suggestion these might be (partly) unnecessary.