Bart Verwilst wrote:
> Op vrijdag 14 oktober 2005 20:18, schreef Phil Stracchino:
>
>>>I don't fully get the naming.. Should i manually give all 8 tapes a name,
>>>and then add them through bconsole with the same names? But the naming i
>>>want them to have is dynamic ( Label Format = "Test-$Day$Month$Year" ),
>>>so it'll nag again that i don't have the correct named tape present, and
>>>to insert it... :$
>>
>>There is no mechanism for automatically deleting and relabelling tapes.
>> I suggest just naming all your tapes once, numerically, and using them
>>in rotation.  If you need to restore something, Bacula will tell you
>>which tape it needs anyway; the whole point of an automated backup
>>system with a catalog database is that it keeps track of things like
>>this for you.
>

> Oh, that explains a lot of my worries :d Is there a way to script this? Like
> when somebody inserts a tape, and then starts a shellscript that asks for the
> name, and labels it for him?

Um, no, you're still thinking in terms or relabelling your tapes every
time you use them.  You CAN do this, but there's no point and it's wasteful.

> Secondly, is it better to have 1 big pool of 7 tapes, each with a
> "Test-$Day$Month$Year" kind of label?, or per dag 1 tape, with correct label
> ofcourse?

Uh, there isn't really a difference in what you've said.  All your tapes
need to be in a Pool.

However, rather than trying to keep them labelled with the date you
intend to use them on, try just labelling them in order and let Bacula
cycle through them.  Otherwise you'll be relabelling tapes every day for
basically no reason.

> Will bacula automatically unload the current tape if it has a different
> label,
> and load the correct one if it's in the same pool? I mean, will it know like
> "ah, tape 2 is currently loaded, but it has a label of "Test-12102005", but i
> need "Test-14102005", which is in slot 5, let's load this one instead to do
> the backup. ? :d

With an autochanger, yes, it will automatically unload the loaded tape
if necessary, and load the first appendable tape in the correct pool for
that job.

--
 Phil Stracchino       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518