On Friday 04 November 2005 09:15, Christoph Haas wrote:
> Kern,
>
> thanks for your quick reply.
>
> On Thursday 03 November 2005 19:33, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > It looks like you stumbled into a change they made in the 2.6 kernel,
> > which will undoubtely cause a lot of people a *lot* of pain.  The change
> > prohibits a program from opening a drive in read/write mode if there is
> > no volume in the drive.
>
> You are most likely right. This behavior seems to have started since I told
> my streamer to eject the tapes automatically when a new tape was
> requested.

Yes, that would create the problem.

> I will tell the Debian package maintainer. Perhaps there is a patch even
> for the 1.36.2 version which can be included in Debian/Sarge. (The policy
> usually forbids shipping new upstream releases in the same Debian stable
> release. So a source code patch is the common way to deal with such
> issues. Perhaps that part of the 1.38 version can be included in the 1.36
> version?)

If someone is very cleaver, perhaps one could patch it, otherwise, there is a
*really* big difference between the 1.36.x code and the 1.38.0 that deals
with this problem.

> > If this is what is causing your problem, you can solve it by:
> > 1. Ensuring that there is some tape in the drive befort starting the SD,
> >     and before issuing a "mount" command in the console.
>
> Strangely the tape gets ejected after a backup job is done. It would be
> less bad if the tape would just stay in and Bacula complained that it
> needed a new tape when the next backup job starts.
>
> > 2. Upgrade to version 1.38.0 (you might wait for a Win32 fix if you have
> >     Win32 clients).
>
> Fortunately there are no Windows clients in my network. :)
> So you say the 1.38 includes a fix for the kernel problem? Good to know.

Yes, but there is one mutex bug with autochangers for which I will release new
code today or tomorrow.

> Regards
>  Christoph

Kern