Hi Kern --

Sounds like a great plan. It's probably too late but I suggest changing the acronym from RFC to something else to avoid conflict and possible confusion with RFC = "Request for Comment", used extensively to document Internet and other standards.

What about RFF = "Request for Feature"

Karl Cunningham

Kern Sibbald wrote:
Hello,

A word about 1.38.0:
Release 1.38.0 is evolving much as prior releases, that is to say, once people started to use it, we received a number of bug reports, some rather important. All the critical, serious, and important bugs have been fixed and if you want a copy, you can pull it from the Bacula CVS using branch Branch-1_38_0. If all continues normally, I'll release a version 1.38.1 this weekend which will contain fixes for all the currently known bugs.

Concerning future development of Bacula:
As I noted in the 1.38 ReleaseNotes, version 1.38 was different from prior versions because it had a lot more contributions. I expect that this trend will continue. As a consequence, I am going to modify how I normally do development, and instead of making a list of all the features that I will implement in the next version, I will personally sign up for one (maybe two) projects at a time, and when they are complete, I will release a new version. The difference is that I will have more time to review the new code that is being contributed, and will be able to devote more time to a smaller number of projects (1.38 had too many new features for me to handle correctly). I expect that future release schedules will be much the same, and the number of new features will also be much the same providing that the contributions continue to come -- and they show no signs of let up :-)

Feature requests -- RFCs:
In addition, I would like to "formalize" the feature requests (RFC) a bit. Instead of me maintaining an informal list of everything I run into (kernstodo), I would like to maintain a "formal" list of projects. This means that all new feature requests, including those recently discussed on the email lists, must be formally submitted and approved. Formal submission of feature requests will take two forms: 1. non-mandatory, but highly recommended is to discuss proposed new features on the mailing list. 2. Formal submission of an RFC in a special format. I'll give an example of this below, but you can also find it on the web site under "Support -> Feature Requests". Since it takes a bit of time to properly fill out a RFC form, you probably should check on the email list first. Once I receive the RFC, I will either accept it, send it back asking for clarification, send it to the email list asking for opinions, or reject it.

If it is accepted, it will go in the "projects" file (a simple ASCII file) maintained in the main Bacula source directory.

Implementation of RFCs:
Any qualified developer can sign up for a project. The project must have an entry in the projects file, and the developer's name will appear in the Status field.
How RFCs are accepted:
Acceptance of RFCs depends on several things: 1. feedback from users. If it is negative, the RFC will probably not be accepted. 2. the difficulty of the project. A project that is so difficult that I cannot imagine finding someone to implement probably won't be accepted. 3. whether or not the RFC fits within the current stategy of Bacula (for example an RFC that requests changing the tape to tar format would not be accepted, ...)

How RFCs are prioritized:
Once an RFC is accepted, it needs to be implemented. If you can find a developer for it, or one signs up for implementing it, then the RFC becomes top priority (at least for that developer). Between releases of Bacula, I will generally solicit RFC input for the next version, and by way of this email, I suggest that you send discuss and send in your RFCs for the next release. Please verify that the RFC is not in the current list (attached to this email).

Once users have had several weeks to submit RFCs, I will organize them, and request users to vote on them. This will allow fixing prioritizing the RFCs. Having a priority is one thing, but getting it implement is another thing -- I am hoping that the Bacula community will take more responsibility for assuring the implementation of accepted RFCs.

RFC format:
Item n:   One line summary ...